Originated in 1951, the center operates 58 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges, and other specialized units. Currently, AEDC's prime contractor is the Aerospace Testing Alliance.
It is a United States Air Force Air Force Materiel Command facility and national resource, having helped develop practically every aerospace system in the U.S. government's inventory, including the Atlas, Titan, Minuteman and Peacekeeper ICBMs, the space shuttle, space station, and Projects Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.[http://www.arnold.af.mil/units/].
- 704th Test Group
- 716th Test Squadron (Flight Systems - Aerodynamics)
- 717th Test Squadron (Aeropropulsion)
- 718th Test Squadron (Space & Missiles)
- 704th Maintenance Group
- 704th Maintenance Squadron
- 804th Maintenance Squadron
- 704th Mission Support Group
- 704th Communications Squadron
- 704th Civil Engineering Squadron
- 704th Test Systems Group
- 650th Test Systems Squadron
- 651st Test Systems Squadron
- The Hypervelocity Wind Tunnel 9 is located off site at Silver Spring, Maryland
- The National Full-Scale Aerodynamics Complex (NFAC) is located at NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, California. The NFAC was closed by NASA in 2003. In February 2006, AEDC and entered into an agreement with NASA to lease the facility for a period of up to 25 years.
AEDC, as it is generally known, lies near Manchester, Tennessee and Tullahoma, Tennessee and occupies much of the site of the former Camp Forrest, a U.S. Army base and World War II prisoner of war camp.
- Arnold Engineering Development Center (official)
- Arnold Engineering Development Center at GlobalSecurity.org
Pages with the same tags
|List Of Vietnam War Flying Aces||ace list usaf vietnam|
|B-52 Stratofortress||aircraft bomber usaf|
|Convair B-36||aircraft bomber usaf|
|KC-135 Stratotanker||aircraft usaf|
|United States Service academies||establishments|
|Castle Heights Military Academy||establishments tennessee|
|The Army Ordnance Association||establishments|
|EC-130E Commando Solo||afsoc aircraft usaf|